Hi again Shawna, I got your personal note, and thought I'd reply here to benefit anyone else in the same circumstance.

First of all, if your Dad'd primary was the tonsil, then they likely blasted the heck out of the site with the radiation, so I wouldn't worry too much about second guessing the Drs on that one.

Second, what your Dad has been through already, (I think) is much worse than the surgery.

In fact, the MRND for me was one of the least horrible parts of this journey.

I've emailed you some pictures of before, during, and after, then now. This may help address cosmetic concerns.

It's not as bad as it seems.

I asked Seth to email you tips on coping during these stressful moments...I've told you before what an angel you are, and how lucky your Dad is to have you at his side..Be strong. He'll get through this next step, you'll see.

Hugs to you both -- Michael

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.