Hi Michael
we're all lab rats in a sense lol- that's the nature of the beast! All treatment possibilities are tailored to the individual. Listen closely to what Brian had to tell you (and not only about just the mrnd). I have met Brian and many others with neck disections and it's not mutilation (especially the mrnd compared to the rnd). You really have to look for it.

I was touched by the eloquence at the way you stated your fear and it's not poisoning the board, it brings many of us back to a place where you are right now and renews our gratitude that we have moved beyond it.

I had a choice of going to Stanford or UCSF and I chose the later because I was going to get IMRT and the RO out there is the top IMRT doc in the country. Otherwise Stanford would have been my first choice.

I am an advanced stage cancer survivor as well and life has exceeded my expectations today. Forget the stats - they will only drive you crazy. They don't take into consideration health habits, age, etc.

Being younger actually works against you a little. Cancers in younger people tend to be more aggressive so if it were me, I would hit it with everything they've got. You CAN get though this, get your life back and you might even get some unexpected surprises along the way (and I mean that in the most positive way).

Don't let your imagination run wild with this (there are actually only a dozen or less decisions to be made - doctors?, facility?, teeth - pull yes or no?, surgery?, chemo?, type?)- it's all too easy to do. It's all about risk/benefit - these are the questions that must be answered to your complete satisfaction. You need to have confidence in your team. Ask for anti-anxiety meds if you need them.

Take it one day at a time. Only God owns the future. And we are here for you.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)