Hi Michael,
My name is Minnie and I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer in my left lower jaw in April of 1003. I had surgery to remove that lower jaw and replace the jaw bone with a bone from my lower left leg. I also had the neck dissection along with radiation treatment. Two years later my life is very, very good. It's not the same and it never will be but I still thank God every day that I am here. My old life and my new life are equal but different, if that makes any sense to you. The process of grieving and saying goodbye to my old life was very difficult at times but I worked my way through it and just in the last month I feel like I have exited that long tunnel!!
I am in agreement with everything Eileen wrote to you. She has given you excellent advice.
Please know that while this is the hardest challenge you will ever face, winning this challenge will bring you the biggest rewards you will get in life. And LIFE is the keyword here. It is amazing what the human spirt can adapt to, what we can handle and cope with physically. You will learn about yourself in the next few months then most people learn about themselves in a lifetime.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.