Sorry, I had a phone call and so posted that before saying what I wanted to say which is that I'd be interested in reading data on the efficacy of other less harsh forms of chemo, it sounds like you have some articels you have read, Gail, that I didn't know about.

But also. that along with quality of life, there is some pretty good survey data that shows patients really do rank highest that they get *effective* treatment--in other words, treatment that will most likely save your life ranks even higher than quality of life for the majority (though of course, everyone is different tand th majority is by no means EVERYONE).

I wish that more often doctors tried to discuss the statistical trade-offs with patients and asked the patient to rank what was most important to them and used that in the decision process. Instead of saying "if course, this is the best treatment". But my guess is that if they did that, many patients would still chose the treatment with better-documented effects even if it is somewhat harder.

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"