You have a right to pain management. Demand it. Tell them you want to speak to a patient omsbudsman. I took morphine for months as well as being on a Duragesic patch (Fentanyl). They could also give you oxycontin, demerol or even Vicodin. They probably told you that because that's what in your chart. My wife had facial surgery and she had a demerol pump (self administered) right up until she was discharged. They then gave her Vicodin.

Be sure to describe your pain using the pain scale 0-10, 10 being the worst.

During radiation they asked me every day what my pain scale was. Tylenol extra strength - thats like putting a bandaid on a ruptured aorta. Remember the doctor has to put it in your chart - the nurses can't change or give you anything without a doctors order. Are you at Stanford? You can always have Seth bring you food.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)