Hi all

I asked for the suction machine a couple weeks ago, and no one seems to know what I am talking about at the hospital.

Which dept should order it?

I am having more pain the chest area this evening...not severe, maybe a 1.5 or 2.5. It worries me, but I hate to go back to ER.

I'll have a CAT tomorrow (hopefully this time correctly) with contrast to check for PE.

In the meantime, my throat is very painful. It peaks around 4.5 to 5 on the pain scale. I find myself trying not to burp, yawn or hiccup since these cause more pain.

The phelm is out of control...It is combining with the original gag problem, and causes me to throw-up 2 or more times a day.

Seth is working so hard to keep me nurished through the PEG and hydrated...I am so greatful and lucky!

My parents are here too (Did I mention it's a small NY apartment smile ..? But I appreciate all their help.

My sister just returned home to LA after being here for the long weekend.

I started the pain meds for the first time today to help with the throat...Seth just adds a 1/2 tsp of the liquid oxicodone to the water in the gravity bag.

I've had some serious heartburn too, but am doing better at managing it, again by using the liquid med (Zantec) in the Peg bag.

I am so glad that you all told me about the gravity bag option, I was using a bolus and what a waste, I can see some cases where it will be useful, but not for a liter of fluids! I finally got some bags after pressing for them.

I hate to be using more so many meds already, I feel dependent on them frown

My mom keeps liquid aloe chilled in the fridge and sprays my neck, chest and chin a few times a day.

And I started colace today today to counter side effects of the opium alkaloid.

Benedryl seems to curb a little of the throat swelling and the gag issues a tiny bit.

I don't know what to do about the chemo. I was kinda physched for it again today (not exactly thrilled to be getting more poison). But I don't want to look back in 16 months and be regretting it with a recurrance frown

Should I stick with the Cisplatium, at least for the 2nd round? And monitor hearing loss to see if I should change for the final round? Dr P said that he routinuely cancells the 3rd round for a number of reasons, infections, toxicity, too sick from radiation, etc.

I have the magic mouthwash, but haven't started using it yet.

I used the soda/salt/water mixture a few times a day, In fact they got me a waterpik which really helps get it in there.

I still have a fever, about 100.5 to 101.0 on average.

At ED last night my WBC was low! (1.3), and this morning it was only slightly better I think 1.5, which was the main reason Dr P held off on the next round until we revisit the issue Thursday.

Well...Sorry I haven't been keeping you all updated more lately, and trying to make up for it with this rambling post smile

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.