Hi Seth, I'm taking care of my dad, who has/had the same type of CA as Michael. He has completed 4 weeks of radiation and 2 chemos. I am in the medical field. My suggestion is to NOT offer things by mouth when nauseated as this typically sets off more nausea. He can get all of his fluids/nutrition via tube. I got my dad a cute little chapstick holder that he wears around his neck religioulsy and he carries water to keep his mouth moist. My dad is doing fabulously, now that he doesn't try to eat anything. He does swallow H2O and religiously does his swallowing excercies. NOW-in our experience, the moth sores came overnight and we were ill prepared. Meaning, we did not have the Fentanyl Patches and liquid Oxycontin. It took a week to get ahead of the pain.
A trick we use in the hospital for nausea post op is having our patients sniff alcohol pads. Strangely, it works. My dad is 100% better since he decided to exclusively use the PEG. Good luck Seth, you and I are in the same boat. I told Micheal that we are a couple weeks ahead. We have 15 treatments to go!! You 2 are in my thoughts daily.

Dad Treated for T2N1M0 Tonsil Cancer August 2005. 35 IMRT radiation, 3 doses Cisplatin. Selective Modified Neck Dissection November.