I don't quote statistics when it serves me - only when it serves a fellow cancer survivor or caregiver. As a patient advocate it is important to give as much information to people as possible so that they and their medical team can sort out their treatment choices. Besides it's like apples and oranges - there is quite a difference beteween a statistic that will improve your survival odds and mortality statistics. As far as upsetting persons who had no chemo, well I have 2 responses:
1. There may be risk/benefit issues which they need to discuss with their doctors.
2. Treatment planning is a very individual thing, based on many complex and diverse factors. In early stage cancers only one or two treatment modalities are typically indicated. This can be any combination of the three basic types of treatment.

There are never simple answers to these types of questions.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)