When we were up at Sloan, we were told they don't use ethyol routinely. They do at Hopkins, and it is sub-cu so injected at one or two sites about 1/2 hour before the radiation. You have to take pre-meds (anti-nausea and a mild sedative) about 90 minutes beforehand, and also, drink at least 24 and better yet, 32 oz. of liquid starting 1 1/2 to 2 hours before receiving the amiphostine. This is be sure you are well-hydrated, to avoid any blood pressure drop. The rad onc nurses both said they have seen relatively few problems doing this way but are perpared for the occasional more serious reaction. I did hear of one person almost having anaphylactic shock with the I.V. delivery, the sub-cu is not so radical. I understand from Barry's daughter, who used to work at Medimmune, that they are still working to find a better way to administer the drug to avoid these side-effects.

The OCF web site cites a paper that indicates that jaw exercises using the fingers are not very effective, compared to the Thera-bite system, in moderating trismus. One thing you should do is measure your jaw opening before start of treatment and keep doing it as everyone says this can "sneak up on you" -- which was confirmed by our dental onc as well.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!