Michael, be very careful getting to hung up on stages and the like. Staging and grading is a very useful tool for physicians and very misleading to patients. Staging, for example, is used for phsyicians to communicate amongst themselves the behavior of different cancers. And because you have certain attributes does not necessarily mean what you and I would believe it to mean.

Take me for example. When I was orginally diagnosed, CT'd (twice) and biopsied (twice) everything indicated that my lesion remained in situ. About 24 hours later they decided the cancer was invasive and I had a hot node. So, I was, according to the charts a Stage III, locally advanced case. At the end of my treatment, I asked about this and was told that I was pretty far from that and would I please stop playing doctor!!

Remember this is your battle. To be fought on your terms. It will be as discouraging or hopeful as you choose . . .I know you will choose for hope!

Tim

SCC Right Tonsil, T2N1M0, Dx 12/04, Tx 40 radiation (180 rad), 8 Chemo (carbo), Tx ended 3/15/05, Selective neck dissection 5/24/05, 22 nodes, 4 levels, no evidence of metastatic malignancy!!! :-)