Hi Michael,
I don't believe Emend is prescribed for nausea and vomiting already in progress. It is taken to prevent it. I think it is taken before chemo and on Day 1 and 2 post chemo. If you are vomiting you may need a compazine suppository rather than anything by mouth. I am really sorry you are having such a miserable time of it. I know with my husband there was a huge anxiety component with all the changes occurring in and around him and his felt lack of control. Any luck with Ativan? Anyone suggest Benadryl? We are using a continuous pump for nutrition at night that allows John to not worry as much about hydration/food during the day on his offdays. What is the reason for the gag problem/tonsil problem? With your gag problem/lack of appetite, you might want to ask about that to increase your energies. Keep a good thought for us - John gets his second chemo tx tomorrow.
Peace, Janet

Caregiver, Husband diagnosed 7/6/05 SCC left tonsil, T2N2bM0, Concurrent chemo/radiation begun 8/2/05 (Cisplatin). Received 2 cycles cisplatin, 38 radiation treatments. Completed course 9/27/05.