Hi Michael,
Sounds like people are really offering you some great alternatives to ease the way. I want John to try Reiki. I don't think gagging has been a problem for John (end of week 4) so I wouldn't assume you will have it. It seems that there are a lot of similar reactions/symptoms but not necessarily to the same degree. Since you asked I'll weigh in on the hospital stay question. I as a caretaker would love the option of a 2 day stay post chemo for John. That has been the most trying time so far for us mainly d/t worry if everything that can be done is being done to ease his symptoms. At least in the hospital, you'd be assured of IV hydration and access to someone who could witness your reactions as they occur. I'm a nurse but it's awful to be so uncertain in this arena as to what's to be expected, tolerated or treated. I'll have to ask John what he would want in retrospect. I would want to stay at the hospital too to be with him -I'm aware hospital staff can only do so much. Enjoy these days- the Spa sounds wonderful - today is a good day here.
Peace,
Janet

Caregiver, Husband diagnosed 7/6/05 SCC left tonsil, T2N2bM0, Concurrent chemo/radiation begun 8/2/05 (Cisplatin). Received 2 cycles cisplatin, 38 radiation treatments. Completed course 9/27/05.