First off what's the staging? This is a relatively important piece of data. Secondly you muat have seen the NCCN Oncology Practice Guidelines that may be of help in the decision also. What surprises me is that it is usually a consensus opinion from a tumor board when one goes to a CCC, and yes, surgeons like to cut and oncologists like to poison and RO's like to burn. So you need to decide what tools in the arsenal you are going to use.

I'm guessing that you are maybe stage III, based on 2 lymph nodes involved and a tonsil primary. Many would advise you to hit it hard with everything they've got.

Your sore throat could be post nasal drip from allergies - it is that time of year.

Good for you to be your own advocate and explore your options - but once you select a treatment protocol - stick with it. Personally, I would be a little nervous with a chemo only (single treatment modality) for what you are describing - but I am not a doctor, only a patient (former that is) like you.

Plan on getting some help to run the lodge. I had radiation and chemo only and it was 1 1/2 years until I could function well again although others here have faired better.

I was Dx'd in November and Tx didn't start until January so don't panic about the time.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)