You could always get yourself frozen like Walt Disney until they find a better method. But today - slash, burn & poison is it.

I honestly don't know whether to be impressed or appalled. It almost reeks of shopping for a doctor that will tell you what you want to hear. You are a unique anomaly here - No one has gone to the extremes that you have. But there is a chink in the armor that Brian pointed out. The real game plan isn't developed in a whirlwind visit at multiple CCC's. My, and most others, diagnostic process took over a month from initial Dx to start of treatment and that was with everything on the fast track. The doctors took the time to get to know me personally and design a treatment plan that would save my life yet allow for some semblance of normality afterwards based on my lifestyle and unique requirements. It was more of a negotiation process, the doctors arming me with knowledge about all of the weapons in the arsenal, which were the most efficacious and the risks and benefits of each. I feel very fortunate that I was gifted with that opportunity - many here are not and have to take what's doled out to them.

I am grateful for those "barbaric treatments" because I have had 28 months of survival that I wouldn't have had otherwise -it's always better on this side of the grass. I have had very few QOL issues - in fact life is quite good today.

I asked my H&N surgeon "why me", expecting some dramatic physiological explanation for my survival and he replied - "just plain luck". And I am afraid that he is probably right, even though my faith tells me not to believe in luck.

I hope that you are here for many years because we have all learned a lot from your journals. I hope that ALL of us are here for many years.

Every person that has died here has been a personal assault on my senses - driven me to cherish, even more, each day with the ones I love. I carry on like many others here do - putting one foot in front of the other until I can no longer go on. The older I get, the more funerals I go to - it's part of the cycle of life and a constant reminder that life itself is a terminal illness and quite fragile.

I truly wish the best for you and that the inner wisdom, that is already inside of you, can come forth and guide your path. Your answer must come from within - not one of us.

You look at Brian, Lance Armstrong and other survivors and what worked for them? - find the best CCC, roll up your sleeves and get on with it. I would venture that any one of those NCCN member CCC's will give your cancer a good run for the money.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)