Hi Michael --

You may want to ask about a longer-acting anti-nausea med -- Anzemeb or similar -- Barry took one of those (a sample) before one of the amiphostine days (he doesn't get amiphostine on chemo days) and it worked for much longer. He didn't need to take any other meds that day.

We also posted to the forum elsewhere and got some anti-nausea suggestions, one was acupuncture and I see from a flyer in our patient's package that Hopkin does acupuncture for nausea from chemotherapy (as well as for pain and dry mouth) so we may try this if Barry starts getting the "amiphostine persistent queasiness". I am a great believer in acupuncture since I had it for a neck injury. See if it's available to Sloan.

The problem is -- you have to get your meds before you are sick and this is hard as it can creep up. Best to take regularly. Take another Zofran 8 hours after first, we found compazine didn't really help that much. And eat what appeals.

One tip, don't eat a favorite food within 2-3 hours of chemo because if you get really sick your brain will forvever link the two and you will be "off" the food for a long time, if not life.

Btw, amiphostine is the same thing as Ethyol -- the latter's just Medimmune's trade name for the drug.

Hang in -- Barry's made it through first week and is feeling OK so you can do it too!

Best, Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!