Hi Michael,
I've been away for a few days. Glad your extraction went well and you have decided on a treatment center. I too was very glad to get treatment started. Wanted this thing killed as soon as possible.

I had XRT not IMRT and they pulled every tooth that had a filling in it, so I lost all my rear teeth, but that was back in the dark ages. My current dentist/prosthodontist, who specializes in cancer patients, uses no metal in my mouth. I'm not certain what the substance is that he uses to fill the teeth, but it is not metal.

Fluoride trays are not that expensive $400 or so. The fluoride is cheap. Is there some reason that they don't want you to use both the toothpaste and the fluoride trays. You don't sleep with the trays. You put them in your mouth for 15 minutes and then don't drink anything for 1 hour. I use them in the morning while I shower. I think the toothpaste has a higher level of fluoride that my Gelcam so that may be one reason they prefer the toothpaste. Also the Gelcam stains my teeth something awful. Much worst than when I was a 3 pack a day smoker.

Are they going to put you on anything to protect your saliva? If this hasn't been discussed ask them.

If you are meeting the VP from Imclone in NJ headquarters this week, I work about 20 minutes away. Send up a smoke signal or email.

I hope everything goes well for you. Eat up at all those good restaurants on the East side as long as you can. Hope you found a good place to stay.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I