Michael,

My mom lives in Malibu and went to UCLA for her chemo and radiation treatments. She had a very good oncologist. I think its wherever you feel the most comfortable. I know for my mom being close to home was very important as towards the end and the first few weeks after treatment ended it got pretty difficult for her and she just wanted the comfort of her own home and bed.

My mom was about 40 pounds overweight when all this started. She never had a feeding tube and had two very major surgeries that involved skin graphs and a trake and then with the radiation and chemo she lost about 60 pounds making her about 20 pounds underweight and quite unhealthy for a period of time. She was hardly getting any nutrition causing her body to start using her muscles to survive. When she finally started putting weight on is when her recovery progress really started to show. Be very careful with your weight loss my mom was really excited to finally fit into a size 5 but the rapid weight loss really had an effect on her overall general health. Now she is at a healthy weight and is starting to have to watch what she eats. My mom took a little longer than most to start feeling better. I really think it had a lot to do with the nutrition thing.

Feel free to contact me if you need anything.

Hugs,
Dani

Originally joined OCF on 12/12/03 as DaniO or Danijams
Dani-Mom SCC BOT & floor of mouth surgery-recur then surgery/rads & chemo completed 3/04
surgery 11/06 to remove dead bone & replace jaw w/ leg bone & titanium plate