Hello Michael

I also had stage 4, right tonsil remnant with extensive spread to the lymph - four in all. I chose a radical neck dissection plus radiation because I thought, from a novice's point of view, that if the large tumours were surgically removed the radiation could work on what was left. Also there would be less likelihood of cells spreading from the tumours if they weren't there! Also, I'm often not good with drugs.

I was amazed at how well the dissection healed. It hasn't affected my facial nerve at all.

When I was first diagnosed I was stunned to hear my doctor mention the word 'cure'. I hadn't considered it. Two years out from treatment I am doing well, back to my normal life and work. I too am self-employed. I wasn't able to work during treatment but told my clients what was happening. They were very supportive and had work for me when I was well enough.

I have great empathy for how you are feeling, Michael. Listen to what your docs have to say, think about it quietly then follow your gut feelings.

I'll be thinking of you and send you love and light from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03