Just wanted to let everyone know that Michael is still in the hospital.. UGH! They were considering releasing him yesterday, but changed their minds when he still couldn't keep anything down. Today he seems to be slightly better. He hasn't thown up since I've been visiting and he walked the halls a little bit. The nurse said that there was talk of releasing him today (Saturday) but that he has a slight fever and they don't release people with a fever. He is dozing now, on and off. The nurse also said that they are going to be giving him Ativan every 6 hrs. I guess that is supposed to help with the nausea?

We discussed this with the Dr. and decided it was unneccessary since he is sleeping plenty.

He just vomitted some phlegm and now his throat and esophogus are on fire from the acids. It seems to happen around the same times each day.

The fever continues to climb and he is reporting slight swollen glands under each arm.

He has so much phelgm it really is out of control.

The ear ringing is down a little today, to maybe a 6, so there's hope still that it may resolve.

He has been resting a lot, and gets tingly hands and feet from being in bed so much.

I of course, am concerned about blood clots, and the bed sores, etc.

His lips are reddish brown and chapped. We try to keep them moistened but he is constantly wipping from all the spittle.

We are using an aloe based gel on the burn areas which have really started to be very obvious.

The skin has errupted in a couple of blister areas and even just me lightly touching it with the gel is painful.

He is taking a little more nutrition today (about 3 or 4 cans so far) but continues to loose weight. Down another pound or two today.

Mouth pain is about a 6 or 7, with a few sores in his mouth and on his tounge. He is taking NOTHING by mouth, and hates even swishing bicarb/salt water.

Taste buds are gone, with everything tasting rancid and salty he says.

We've tried the magic mouthwash a couple of times, but he doesn't like the numb sensation, plus it's milky and creamy and contributes to more phelgm.

What aggrevates him more is that he can't speak, so he has to try to get us to understand his sign gestures (a couple of them I got right away:).

We'll see how he does overnight, and I'll post more in an update tomorrow.

- Seth

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.