It's not a "neglible gain" recent studies have shown as much as 13% higher survival rate when used with radiation.

The trick is to remain hydrated when you're going through treatment. You won't have kidney damage if you stay hydrated.

Cisplatin is some nasty stuff. I smelled like a chemical waste dump for about a month after it was over. Here is a very thoruogh link to everything you will want to know (and don't want to know about Cisplatin http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/sl/Html/Frames.html

Mouth sores maybe as long as 2 or more months after completion of treatment.

The antiemetics work 60% of the time according to the manufacturer of Zofran.

My actual "beam on" time was 40 minutes/session. The whole thing was about an hour.

The worst effects occur about 3-5 days post infusion. Just about the time you're feeling better, then it's time for the next infusion.

I am not trying to scare you but this is tough treatment and you're better off preparing emotionally and knowing what to expect.

I and many others here are living proof that you can survive the treatment. It was no walk in the park however.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)