post script--Gail, I was really interested by this : "many patients had long-term disabilities that greatly reduced their enjoyment of life and they would have preferred a less-drastic treatment even if it somewhat reduced their chance of cure (or control)." because it somewhat contradicts a paper I read (though now I can't recall where), though that paper may have been a survey of patients in treatment or about to start treatment, not long term survivors. But also this seems like it contradicts a LOT of data on the psychology of happiness and overall life satisfaction (which I'm very interested in) which shows that even people with severe disabilities generally return to their prior-to-disability set point of life satisfaction (which for the average person is genreally on the satisfied end) witthin a few years of the onset of the disability.

I would think just kind of logically that if the disability goes along with a good thing, like surviving cancer, it would be even more likely that people would return to being satisfied with their life overall.

So anyway, just because of that, I'd be interested in hunting down that paper if you can rememebr the cite. Maybe you could email me? I know it's kind of a sidetrack here....

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"