Two weeks seems to be the norm for IMRT (post-simulation) -- in any case, that's what Sloan and Hopkins both told us . Barry has his simuation this coming Monday and they wanted to start tomo on August 1, but we have delayed a week as the med onc folks have still not finalized his treatment plan (not entirely their fault, as we just decided at the end of the week not to do an offered trial as it involved cisplatin). We still have to meet with the dental oncologist and of course his scheduler is out until Tuesday, arggh! If Barry needs any serious dental work (and he might he did have some peridontal disease, now supposedly under control) that could delay things more.

One thing we have learned pretty quickly is not to sit around and just wait until someone schedules a consult or meeting for you -- get on the horn and check up on it. Our not doing that last week has cost us some time, luckliy for Barry not a real issue as his cancer is not moving aggressively, but it could be a real problem for some folks!

Hopkins say they have a "cancer team for you" -- and I agree the players are world-class but the "general manager "(if there is one) seems to be a very casual person about coordination. I am a very organized person, ran a big research program with lots of conflicting things happening all the time and I am getting frustrated at what appears to be simple lack of communication. Arggh!

However, am also a quick learner so come Monday things hopefully will start to happen.

Gail Makiernan

(Barry Cooper's wife) He's stage IV SCC tonsil (removed), b.o.t. and mets to 2 lymph nodes.

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!