Well, the whole thing is it's important to understand teh limitations to statistics. And what they mean and what they don't mean. The percentage refers to some percent of people that would benefit if they had both chemo and rad. that won't benefit the same way from just rad. But no one can know whether they themselves are a part of that percentage--you either are or you aren't--that part is just luck plus taking absolutely the best care of yourself you can given what you know now and knew at the time.

For me, personally, knowing the percent of people for whom a tough treatment created a better outcome is helpful in deciding whether I want to have that treatment with the hardship and possible long term negative effects that it entails. I would rather know and make my own decisions about that than have my medical oncologist decide FOR me that, say, a 5% gain in disease free survival is enough that I should have the treatment and all I hear is that I need to have it. I recognize not everyone finds this info. helpful, though.

I'd hate to think we couldn't discuss this information because it is helpful for those who want to know about it. I never would have considered doing concurrent chemo had it not been for those numbers. But I agree we need to be remind people that there is no way tell what percent you would be in when push comes to shove.

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"