Hi Michael --

You and Barry start treatment on the same day -- we will be thinking about you! Luckily he had a good MRI series done before his tonsillectomy and this was sufficient -- it was in a new high-field open MRI here in DC and though we were warned "they will want to re-do it as open MRI's aren't as good as closed systems" they found the quality to be excellent. (Good thing, too -- Barry is pretty claustrophobic and the only way he could do a closed MRI is to be sedated -- me too...)

Are you getting a gastric tube? He will, although not at all happy about it, but since he is getting neck radiation as well as base of tongue, the Hopkins crew feels he will need it. Although he has managed to pack on about 12 pounds since July 5 when we went up to Sloan, the nutritionist felt he would just lose too much weight without supplemental feeding when his mouth/throat start to get bad. Dehydration is also a big concern as he's getting amiphostine and has to drink 24 oz. water before getting the drug.

(I am proud to say I have resisted the cheescake, cashews, ice cream etc. and have NOT gained any weight in last two weeks -- but it has been tough! <gr>)

We are now through with all the consults and workups and plan to take off for some few days to get away!

Good luck,
Gail

(Barry Cooper's wife)

Barry: Dx 6/21/05| SCC| Right tonsil and 1.4 cm base of tongue| 2 nodes right side| Stage IV, T3N2bM0| tonsillectomy 6/21/05, negative margins except at b.o.t. area|chemo carboplatin 6x, 7 weeks tomo radiation commencing 8/10/05.

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!