Michael,

My mom had exactly the same feeling. Her recovery took a really long time and she never took anti depressants even though I begged her to. She didn't smile and it was like she just went through the motions of life without enjoying anything. The spit just kept coming for her too but soon that will start to subside. It really took about 6 months for her to start to feel somewhat normal.
It was so tough for a long time but now she can eat practically everything and she looks just like her old self (only 20 pounds lighter.) Her taste came back after about a month but she didn't eat much for at least six months. She lived on high calorie shakes that somebody on this website gave me the recipe for. She said without those shakes she doesn't know how she could have made it. I honestly think that her recovery took so long because she wasn't getting proper nutrition. Things will start to get better soon but it is definately a verrry slow process...Take care.

Hugs,
Dani

Originally joined OCF on 12/12/03 as DaniO or Danijams
Dani-Mom SCC BOT & floor of mouth surgery-recur then surgery/rads & chemo completed 3/04
surgery 11/06 to remove dead bone & replace jaw w/ leg bone & titanium plate