Michael!
You sound so good so soon! I'm glad you are pro-active and took charge even while in the hospital. They say "good patients" have a lower survival rate. Passive is not what we need to be.

I'm going to UCLA tomorrow to talk to a Head/Neck Dr. and I'll let you know what I find there. I searched cancer Dr.'s on the web and then researched their credentials and specialties. I emailed the one I liked best with my short history and asked him to consider me. He wrote right back giving me his private number! I was impressed.
I was treated at USC for years but their cancer department doesn't wow me. My Oregon surgeon strongly recommended UCLA and others have commended it as well so I'm hopeful.

Do watch losing too much weight. Even radiation takes it out of you. I lost 20 pounds just doing that! My Dr. "prescribed" chocolate milkshakes every day. Lots of good calories and easy on the throat. Also Ensure has a great mocha flavor I still crave.

The good news is that you are taking control of your illness and you and Seth have been able to figure out the work issues. You are lucky to have such nice options. Now's the time to start the humor. Read Stuart Smalley books and commit to making yourself laugh. For some weird reason it helps. smile
Love and hugs!!!!!!
Ali Mae

ACC of soft palate diag. '90; neck resection '93,removal of soft palate, nodes, eustachian tube, rebuilt palate with arm tissue; 9 wks radiation; lung mets and positive nodes '05, no treatment possible.