Michael,

A dry socket typically starts 3 days after the removal of the tooth. It manifests itself as a radiating pain and usually occurs with lower wisdom teeth. It will travel from the back and radiate to the front area around the chin. The pain is usually pretty severe. This is the typical case, however it can be of short duration and only cause minor discomfort.

The dentist that did your fillings would probably not have looked at the extraction sites if you didn't mention to him that you were having any pain in the area.

If I remember correctly, your pain after the wisdom teeth extractions, started before you went to the dentist for the fillings and scaling. Therefore, it is possible that your pain was due to the injections for the extractions or it could have been a minor dry socket. The fact that you are feeling better is a good sign. In my area, we usually see a wisdom tooth patient in one week for a post-op visit to check healing. If the patient develops a dry socket, they will usually call before the week's up.

At this point there is probably no reason for you to go back to the surgeon, unless you feel compelled to. Dry sockets don't return, if that was what it was. The disappearance of pain after a dry socket would mean that the bone is healing.

Hope this has helped.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"