Hello Seth,

First, Everyone will notice I moved this thread to the "currently in Treatment" Forum because it is true and because this thread is very active and as a result we were missing some new member introduction posts. I hope everyone understands why I did this and continues to keep the information flowing in this thread.

Second, Seth, since radiation tends to make the sense of taste go flat and/or go wacky, it is good to boost the flavor of food with spices that agree with the patient. Not hot spices but flavor spices. You may have to experiment and try different combinations that appeal to the taste. I personally found that onion and garlic was good as well as Mediterranean spices. Almost any creamy soup can be "boosted" with protein powder and shitaki mushrooms are good for several reasons. If you like to make them yourself, there are organic soup stocks pre-made at larger grocery stores packed in cartons like milk. I really liked the free range chicken stock and the cream of mushroom stock. You can add anything you like to these and make really great soups or stews. If you want you can add your own vegetables and run the whole thing through the blender. With a blender you can turn anything into a smooth-swallowing meal. I suggest you not worry about fat and go ahead and add your favorite oil (olive, etc) to each meal you make. The oil adds important calories, helps with swallowing and is an important component in healing.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.