Seth, tell him to try some Epicuran Lip Balm. That's what I used and it worked pretty well on the severely chapped lips. Chap Stick and it's petroleum based cousins are just about totally worthless.

Some people have had some success with combating the nausea with peppermint drops placed under the nostrils. The standard home remdies help also, soda crackers, anti-acids, etc. I used carbonated water and that helped with the mucous a bit. Morning was the worst time. I would have to sit up for a while and get the phlegm hacked out and then I could attempt to eat something. Sleeping elevated helped somewhat also.

I was briefly hospitalized for dehydration a couple of times and I felt better immediately after being rehydrated. I had many problems with secondary infections and thrush but I kept a stash of medications for these and was aggressive in warding these off before they became a much worse event.

His experience sounds a lot like mine. Tell him to hang in there - it will pass.

He's learning what we mean, up close and personal, by the expression - "it's no walk in the park".

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)