Much like Nelie's experience, my husband too, has taken the caretaker issue in his own way. He has been a real peach about driving me to appointments, but I think caretaker's in general experience "burnout"

Sometimes I think he just doesn't get the fact that it's going to take some time for me to get back to "normal" and normal might not ever be exactly the same again.

Cancer is not only a freaky experience for those of us going through it, but shakes up quite a few people that connect to us. As soon as I shared my diagnosis with my only close friend in town, she flat out DISAPPEARED, either afraid she'd be asked to do something or just unwilling to watch someone she knew go through treatment.

My own parents pizzled out. Long story there that I won't get into, but basically I had to stop communicating with them entirely.

You will have to be the strong one Michael and there will be times where it gets frustrating dealing with people. Take it easy and take it slow, you will get through it.

In my own case, I've made it a point to be a wee bit selfish. After years of being the caretaker of the family and trying to please everyone, I view this particular time in my life to consider what's best for me. It was probably high time I made myself a priority.

Jen