Hello Michael. I hope this finds you feeling better. How is it going with your G tube? Please be sure to monitor it well. After coming back to Moms house from a weekend away, I noticed fluids were coming out of the "hole" when I fed her. Long story short, it had pulled out and was replaced the same day I called the Dr.

She began Chemo the next day. Had Erbitux first 2 treatments and was given compazine which has worked well. This week, she had Erbitux and cisplatin on Tuesday which took all day and a simulation after that. I had made arrangements for a motel up the street from the hospital...and glad I did too!

She was given Zofran and Dexamethasone to start taking the day AFTER for 3 days and was told to still use compazine if needed. Since she is a senior on medicare/bluecross bluesheild without any prescription coverage you can imagine my shock when I went to have it filled!! Heck, I thought the liquid cipro was expensive when I filled it after the new tube, that was just chump change.

She started radiation on Wed. Mom can no longer wear her dentures (or eat) so I'm not sure what all are talking about the therabite system? However she also has a constant feeling of something in her throat. Matter of fact, she has woke up several times "spitting up", not due to vomiting but because the mucus/flim gets stuck in her throat and she can't get it up the rest of the way like most can to spit it out.
We were told today at tx that there is a machine/pump that can be used to clear it out but we need to talk to Doc. about it.

She is also using the biotene, says it takes away a film from her mouth. She is also using Nystatin for a fungus on the tongue...another pretty penny! We were given radiagel today but am not realsure if we use it now before the skin gets bad or what..well have to ask again tomorrow.

Pain management was sooo important before this all began and she don't really like what all the meds do to her (comazine included) but she is damn determined to fight with what little energy she does have, and I fell you will too!

One thing I would like to know is how in the world do I go about getting the Zofran cheeper? And should I get her the 100% aloe vera gel or boofine?

Please keep up your determination and spirit.
Mom and I have come to the conclusion that when she stumbles we'll laugh, it is either that, or we'll spend too much precious time crying!!!

Your in my prayers,
Dee

Caretaker of Mom with Unresectable stage IV SCCHN, T1-3,T4..No,N1,N2-3. IMRT daily treatment starting 8/24/05. Erbitux every week starting 8/10/05 and Cisplantin every 3 weeks times 3. Diagnoised 7/5/05 -passed and in peace now on 10/1/05