Barb, is that Strawberry or Blueberry Jelly?

(what is with me and food lately?) :-)

They didn't nuke the mask, they soaked it in what I presume was a solution of warm water and who knows what else.

It seemed to get tighter and tighter and tighter as I lied there, but not horrible. It was a yellow, plastic like net mesh material, so they only cut a hole for the bite block I had in my mouth, which they made moments before hand.

Incidentally, the whole time I was simulated I had this feeling that the new bite block; (like an oversized plastic tongue depressor that's hollow in the middle for breathing), was not lining up with my teeth impressions properly. But, I couldn't move or talk so I couldn't tell them.

Turns out, afterwards I put it back in, and sure enough, it had been upside down the whole time!

Oh, and the hollow part, I didn't figure that out until over half way through. Prior I was nearly gagging trying to breath around it and through my nose, and by accident I noticed I could breath "through" it.

Anyway, Shawna, I've never heard of Ethyol, what is that? I'll ask about it too. I have read that radiation does indeed cause some swelling, and I imagine it has something to do with the fluids and possible tissue damage, but ask the Dr. My mask kept getting tighter just in the hour or so I was in simulation, in fact, towards the end I could feel my pulse in the mask, and it seemed to get tighter and tighter in synch with my pulse...wierd huh..? :-) But, it's MUCH better than what I've read the horrible plaster masks were like.

Gail, YES, I am getting a "G-Tube" also. I resisted it, but as the Dr put it, better to go through a little discomfort now, even though possibly unncessarily; than to go through a lot of discomfort in 5 weeks, necessarily. So, I'll be getting my Borg implant too.

Now, all I need is the Port-a-cath and I'll be wired for sound!

[quote] (I am proud to say I have resisted the cheescake, cashews, ice cream etc. and have NOT gained any weight in last two weeks -- but it has been tough! <gr>) [/quote]---What is this? We should relabel this the "Food Channel" eek

Anyway, it's good to be back home, albeit for only a few days.

I can't imagine how good it will feel to return home after two months of sweltering New York stinch, burning and poisoning. Guess I'll use this memory as inspiration to get it done and back home.

Tizz: I'll look into the "Gel-Kam"and "GC Tooth Mousse" (Does that come in chocolate?) wink ...thanks.

Yes, Gary, I am going to be getting the chemo too...Cisplatinum...I'll try the cotton ball idea also.

I don't know what "level" I'll be getting, I suspect that will be determined during the workup following Tuesday's simulation..?

I'll like Nancy's idea of using both, at least for a while...Do you guys think I can use the trays even on the days I get radiation (not during of course), or will the pain be too intense? mad

I'm going to the local dentist tomorrow for a cleaning and at least two fillings...Still don't know what kind to get??? Metal I guess.

I'll discuss this with the local dentist (although he's problably only seen a handful of cancer patients).

As always, THANK YOU ALL for everything!!!

- Michael :p

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.