Yes, you would think in the hospital when you are that sick, you wouldn't have to ride herd on what they are doing, but you really do. I was last in the hospital weeks ago for about 9 days because I was neutropenic and had some absolutely excellent nurses and niurses aids BUT there were still some screw ups and flubs.

The biggest being that I needed Jevity for food through the tube and they sent up Jevity that had an expiration date of 2004 stamped right on it. It was actually so old, it had a different name and label becuse I guess they changed the name about a year ago. You think that might have gotten someone (dietician, nurse, someone) to CHECK the date (that's why I checked the date) but apparently not.

I compained and the nurse I complained to was VERY apologetic. The next day, the head dietician was in my room apologizing and blaming it on the fact that they ahd had to buy cans fromm another institution instead of a supplier because they ran short and it must have been "the other institution" that sent them bad cans. STILL doesn't explain why no one checked. Jeez. I'm in the hosptial because I have next to no resistance to infection and I could have eaten a can of something that had gone bad if I hadn't thought to check the expiration date myself.

Then I found out that there were two patients with antibiotic resistant infections on the floor, one on either side of my room and we had been assigned the same nurse. That's smart don't you think? Assign the same nurse to people with infections that can't be cured by antibiotics and also one of the patients on the floor most vulnerable to cathcing an infection. And hope that nurse ALWAYS remembers to wash their hands.

I found this out, though, from a really good nurse who was trying to convince me that if I was given a choice I should go home to recover, even though I was still running a fever. I took his advice.

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"