Michael, in our town the hospital (small town, we have just one) has a support group for care givers. You might want to have Seth look into that. Having been the care give twice before being the patient, I know it can at times seem almost overwhelming. I had a circle of friends who served as my support group, but even better is a gathering of people going through the same thing.

I am very glad you have opted for the surgery. Don't worry about the small delay. This stuff is nasty, but not that fast.

I cannot know the dynamics of your family situation, but it might help if you all sat down and you told them that for the next few months, you are going to need to concentrate on yourself, but that when you are through treatment, you can resume your former role in the family. Or something like that, just so they know the change for each of them is only temporary. They might also be very scared by the word "cancer" and not be thinking positively about your very good chances of survival. In case they have come upon the same statistics you earlier quoted, you might explain how that is not a good indicator of how you will do.

One guarantee, however, is that once you have definitely committed to a course of action, you will feel much better emotionally.