Michael,

What does your doc say about sticking to cisplatin vs. switching to carboplatin? I think the main argulent for switching is the hearing problems, which could be permanent and would be a real dsiability. The rest of teh stuff--nausea, etc., awful as they are, are temporary. Throwing up twice a day from phlegm was pretty standard for me during the last couple of weeks of treatment, I never found a suction machine helped much (tried one when I was in the hosptial) because my mouth was so sire and I had to have the suction up high to get that ropey phlegm and then if I accidentally hit a spot that was sore from mucositits in my cheek for example--OUCH! Constant spitting seemed easier.

It helped me to hear this:
"Dr P said that he routinuely cancells the 3rd round for a number of reasons, infections, toxicity, too sick from radiation, etc." since my third round was cancelled due to a couple of those reasons and teh rad onc. from Roswell Park told me this was not something that unusual at a major CCC either but I wasn'tr sure whether or not to believe him (I've read alsewhere that one major diff. between treatment at meading CCCs and elsewhere is that they tend to be more aggressive at CCCs even when there are risks to the patient involved--and that aggressiveness does show up in better survival rates!).

I agree with Gail about getting numbers from the docs. There is lots of really solid research showing how effective cisplat. is as a radiosenitizer but it isn't the only one that's been researched--if carnopplat. is thoght to be only a percentage point or two elss effective, if it were me, I think I'd be willing to make the switch.

Its is so nice you have all your loved ones there (except, I guess, your dogs--what are they doing right now?). Even in a small NY apt. You are very lucky! Remind yourself of your blessings--I know they may seem hard to find right now.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"