I had ringing in my ears for some time and also earaches, but nothing serious enough to warrant stopping the treatment. They did cut it short to 2 Cisplatin treatments for other reasons

I should qualify this - I have been a bass player for many years and have spent a lot of time standing next to a 120 dB ride cymbal without hearing protection - so tinnitus and I are old buddies. I am hearing a ringing right now as I did a DJ gig this afternoon - sometimes it manifests itself as background noise or buzz and it's usually worse after loud sound exposure. Between the radiation trashing my eustacian tubes and the Cisplatin, it was tough going for a while. I did however do well on all of my hearing tests and the final one actually showed an improvement in my midrange. My hearing returned to normal after the eustacian tubes regenerated themselves and started draining again, the earaches stopped as well.

WARNING: A small percentage of Cisplatin users experience total deafness - let your doctors know immediately what is happening so they can decide whether to keep you on it or not.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)