Hi Michael, my dad is getting his second dose of Cisplatinum this Monday. Of all the struggles, he didn't have any issues with it. Where he is being treated, they require him to stay overnight to complete a massive fluid flush in conjunction with the chemo. They also give him an expensive battery of anti-nausea meds IV. Emend is one of them and he had no nausea. We are knocking on wood and continuing to pray that he won't have to deal with nausea.
Reagarding your question of how long all of this will last-my dad was perfectly fine until the last days of his 3rd week in. Then, pure hell. They gave him a week break and he is resuming tomorrow. Again, please be prepared for pain, meaning have your liquid oxycontin to squirt into your tube as well as Fentanyl patch for long acting pain relief. Since I haven't had to have this treatment, I can't express what it feels like. I do know that we both wished that his Medical team would have been able to be more specific about what to expect. Realizing that everyone has different reactions, we are realists and appreciate upfront news. Enjoy these next couple of weeks if you can.
The greatest thing is that since his break in treatment, his mouth feels 100%. Meaning, he is optimistic that once he makes it through treatment he knows he will feel okay again!
PS-his jaw is already tight and it is getting more difficult to shove the tongue blades in--

Dad Treated for T2N1M0 Tonsil Cancer August 2005. 35 IMRT radiation, 3 doses Cisplatin. Selective Modified Neck Dissection November.