Michael,
Do keep positive! Your doctors will do all they can medically, but YOU must do all you can with your determination and attitude! There were many, many days when my husband literally fought going to another radiation or chemo session - - he was so sick he just didn't think he wanted to work at it anymore. It took a very, very stern approach from me to 'change his mind' - - I had to remind him just what it was he was fighting for......in his case, it was his family. He had determined early on that no matter what the outcome, he would 'win,' but that those who love him might feel like losers. When the days were bad, I'd let him know that I wasn't ready to lose.... and that put things back in perspective for him.
I see the photos we took after chemo and radiation and surgery and recall how afraid I was that I would lose him. I look at him now and see a lot of the "old Tom" I love so much. He DOES look to the future because it is what he fought to see. He may never be 100%, but he's very happy that he's here to experience another day with us.
You keep the end of the rainbow in sight, Michael. We'll remind you often of the pot of gold waiting for you!
All our best
Tom and Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.