Wow...Lot's of GREAT new info! Thanks all!

I'll work on getting one right away.

I've heard about the swallowing thing, in fact I've read that one can spontaneously develop a hole in your throat from lack of swalloing...has anyone heard of this??

I guess it's the old law of nature..."Use it or loose it."

Eileen, the RO said she doesn't want to use anything to try to preserve the salivary glands...She promisses since she's the "best" and using IMRT that it won't be too bad...(I hope she's being truthful)

I have some 2% Lidocaine solution I got on the internet following the tonsil surgery.

I asked the ENT's at Stanford for some when the pain was at it's 9.5 peak, but they refused saying that it makes it too dangerous to swallow down the wrong tube, but I used it after carefully and never had a problem.

I've been swishing with Aloe Vera 3x daily preradiation and drinking it too. May be a total waste of time (& money), but I'm hoping it will help...(we'll see smile

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.