Mike, Tim's words are true. Forget the statistics! let me try another example: even if we imagine the statistics for your "Very" serious path report give you a 10% 5 year survival. How do you "know" that you are in the 90%? The answer of course is you don't! You could take the "quality of life" easy way out but if we lived our lives that way we would not make it past the age of three. After all, life was really good when our mother did everything for us and it went down hill after that.

Live one day at a time and try to stop looking into the future.

You need to fight this because there is always a chance that you'll win.

Unfair yes. This disease has made clear to me how life is unfair. We all have a bit of a pity party over this reality in our lives and it may be deserved. Remember though, how much of a blessing that you even have an option for treatment. That you have much more even now than 2/3rds of the worlds population. Look around and you will see people that are far worse off than you are right now. Yes life dealt you this and it isn't fun but you aren't blind, or in a wheel chair. We aren't born with a garantee there is no refund if you aren't happy with what you have. The choice is rather simple when you look at it: you either deal with it or you don't. You have already started dealing with it, keep on going. (and realize there might be setbacks)

PS I don't like that your ENT said that either and further let your oncologists deal with things they are trained for it.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.