Hi Michael--

You say you still cannot eat or drink -- yet have no pain -- is the inability to eat a problem with swallowing (that is, a physical limitation) or is it just too sore when you try to eat or drink?

I ask because you can lose the ability to swallow through disuse, which is why our RO was on everyone's case to "swallow something, even if just water" throughout treatment and was pretty insistent with those who were relying 100% on their g-tubes. And I know Barry's ENT warned him about this as well, she monitors a number of post-treatment patients who can no longer swallow and are undergoing PT for this.

Hopkins schedules all their HNC radiation patients for a swallowing evaluation about 1 month out. Even though Barry's been eating they want him to do it as well, it is going to be on November 8. You may wish to see about arranging something similar for yourself. There are exercises etc. that can be done to improve swallowing ability -- folks on this forum who have been through it know far more than I about the subject.

If the problem is soreness/pain and not a physical issue, then you may want to reconsider use of pain meds. Barry is still using pain medication in order to eat, although his mouth is definitely looking better -- but his throat is still very sore as that was what got most radiation. But without pain management he would not be able to eat.

Other than that, relax and think healing thoughts...

Best,
Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!