Jon,
Has your medical team sent you for a dental evaluation?

It is important to have any dental work done before starting radiation.

Once your radiation treatments start, and from then on, you will need to apply fluoride to your teeth daily. Most of us are fitted with fluoride trays for this.

Going into treatment, it seems to be good to be a bit overweight. I was told to try to add ten pounds. Every week I had an appointment with a dietitian who double checked my weight and made adjustments for constipation and the like.

You might want to see if your medical team includes a dental group and dietitians.

FYI, My liquid PEG nutrition was called Nutren 1.0 with fiber. It is made by Nestle. Although it only has 250 calories per can they said at eight cans a day I got both the calories and liquid hydration I needed. Hydration is very important.

Jevity is also real common. Some like Nutren 2.0 and Carnation Breakfast VHC-560 that pack twice the calories, but it needs to be diluted to get down a PEG.

Just drinking this stuff, the Carnation tasted the best to me, but by week four nothing tasted good (horrible taste). Some people apparently lose their taste completely, so in that case it probably doesn't matter.

If you don't get a PEG, I recommend you try to get the Carnation VHC (360 or 560

Since I was always able to drink water or juice and eat soft stuff like pudding, I never managed all eight cans -- usually just six.

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11