Jon:
Your oncologist should already know about these drugs. If he doesn't, please get someone else. There hasn't been much advancement in treatment for OCF until just recently. And that's only been improved radiation machines, and a couple new drugs. And any doctor who cares about his OCF patients quality of life should be pretty up to date on these things.

Concerning induction: Induction historically has been used for the most advanced OC cases Stage 3 & 4 with lymph node involvment. But now the treatment is used more frequently as it shows an improvement in survival rates and reoccurance rate. My tumor was large, but I did't have lymph node involvement. I still had to convince my doctor to do this treatment-showing him info I found on this web. I felt it was my life at stake, and I wanted the most aggressive treatment available.

Everyone's side effects are different. Some severe, and others, like me, breeze through, but doctor's have great medicine to help. They can also adjust the drugs if necessary.

Hope this helps
Sandyst

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter