Jon:
You have been given excellent advice from memebers of this site. I too believe that the operation they recommend is too drastic.

I was diagnosed with BOT cancer in January. The tumor was too large to operate for quality of life purposes.
I did some research and convinced my doctors' to do "Induction Therapy." I had Cisplatin, 5-FU and Docetaxel, but I think there are several combinations. There was a very large study done (500-800 patients) called TAX323 and TAX324 that showed excellent results. The Therapy reduced my primary tumor about 80%. After Induction Therapy, I did 7 weeks of Tomotherapy radiation. Tomotherapy is a IMRT machine that is able to very closely target the tumor and avoid healthy tissues. I tolerated each treatment very well, but typically most patients experience more side effects. I was the lucky one.
Unfortunately, I'm just 3 months out of treatment so I can't give you any long term prognosis as yet.

Your doctor may be able to download the study from www.nejm.org.

One other note: In Europe, I am told, that there are companies that will test the biopsy against OC chemo drugs to see determine which drugs would be most effective.

Hope this helps
Sandyst

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter