Jon,

I just finished the radiation last week. I did not get the PEG but was able to maintain my weight. This takes some work and will power. You can find dietary supplements that are not the carnation VHC; you just have to take more. The key is total calories and protein intake. Your doctor or hospital nutritionist can get you those numbers based on your personal needs. You can check with some of the local body builders in you area, as they always know where to get supplements.

Eating will become work. You will want to plan things out and them sit down and make sure you get those calories in. You will not have problems eating for a while into treatment. First you will loser your taste then you will have to work through the pain and taste issues.

I did not have chemo but one of the others at my CCC did both the Chemo and Radiation. She did OK without the PEG. She had to work at it though. She and I found combinations of soft foods and supplements we liked mixed with whole milk, protein powders and the like (she liked mashed potatoes for a while and I was doing mac and cheese). Make sure you check with the other patients at the hospital. They will give you local options we can�t give you here.

Best of luck.

Kelly

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux