Jon,

Again, let's wait and see what the path report says. You will have time to make the necessary decisions.

A few things though:

HPV can only be tested from confirmed Squamous Cell (SCC) cancer cells but a typical HPV profile, if you will is:

1. white male
2. Non smoker
3. Multiple sexual partners in one's lifetime
4. Base of tongue or tonsil Primary
5. Met to the nodes
6. College educated
7. Handsome (that's my unbiased addition)lol

The same study concluded that if you fit that profile, your chances of your SCC being HPV+ was appx 70%.

No Cisplatin is still the poison of choice even though it's cousin, Carboplatin, seems to be just as effective but without the fear of permanent hearing loss.

RE ND and tongue surgery, I would need more info before I would make that decision....like DO I HAVE CANCER for starters.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.