EzJim Jon. I never realized or imagined a great Hospital in Thailand and I imagine that is never hearing about it until now. As they say, listen , read and learn daily. Thanks Jon and good luck.

Jon says: - Yes they have a very good name but how advanced with all the latest Up to date Drugs on the markets I don�t know but I have not heard of any complaints even though I�m sure they have all the normal problems all hospitals have when you�re dealing with Human error. http://www.bumrungrad.com/

davidcpa Jon,

First ND = Neck Dissection which can range from Radical where they take all the nodes on one side and muscles, nerves and blood vessels to Partial where they may only take the confirmed nodes.

Jon says:- What would you do if they say they want to take out my lymph node, which seem to have added a third larger in the last 2 weeks.end

Re HPV, there have been at least 2 recent studies that have confirmed that HPV+ SCC responds better to existing Tx and therefore has a less chance for recurrence.

Jon Says:- They have not taken a biopsy for HPV it was just something the doctor told me when he gave me the reasons for contracting this Base of Tongue cancer with left side swollen LN end

Re chemo, I had Cisplatin which is still the most widely used chemo to ASSIST the radiation.

Re radiation, it's the ONLY thing that will kill active SCC cancer cells. They usually recommend adding chemo if there has been nodal involvement and they will usually say that the chemo will add another 20% or so to the kill rate by effectively making the cancer cells more easily killed by the radiation. Usually chemo is never given alone unless they are trying to "clean up" post radiation or you reach a terminal stage.

Jon says :- So is there any new drugs they can use with radiation and Chemo with less side effects as Cisplatin has been around since 1967 surely they have more advance drugs since then. end

Re totally cutting out your tongue, I WOULD RUN FAR AWAY FROM THAT HOSPITAL unless your primary BOT is massive.

Jon says :- Yes that�s what I thought but the mass seems to be half the base of my tongue even though I can not feel any symptoms yet apart from my left jaw Lymph node massing fast 2� X 2� now. Do you know about these drugs http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00273546 end

Why can't you go back to the UK and get free medical care?

Jon says: - as I have lived in Thailand for more than 3 months a year, It is dubious if I have any entitlement to free NHS in UK now. Also I have nothing in the Uk even my friends are now living in Thailand now, about 20 of them from UK, this is the new Spain and with a wonderful climate and great cost of living, it�s really paradise, also I have had to spend my saving, on medical treatment as Insurance only pays 80% . So if I did get back to Uk Id have nowhere to stay as I make my living in Thailand as a teacher and when I leave the job or can�t work owing to Chemo or anything that stops me talking I�m stranded here with next to nothing so I have to be careful. One wrong move and I�m in a dangerous position without the cancer so lots to think about, you did ask?
Living in a non-bilateral healthcare agreement country?
If you choose to go and live permanently (or for more than 3 months each year) in a country with which the UK does not have a bilateral health agreement, then you will not normally be eligible
for free NHS hospital treatment during a visit to the UK, no matter how long you may have lived here in the past.

I was diagnosed with BOT cancer in January. The tumor was too large to operate for quality of life purposes.
I did some research and convinced my doctors' to do "Induction Therapy." I had Cisplatin, 5-FU and Docetaxel, but I think there are several combinations. There was a very large study done (500-800 patients) called TAX323 and TAX324 that showed excellent results. The Therapy reduced my primary tumor about 80%. After Induction Therapy, I did 7 weeks of Tomotherapy radiation. Tomotherapy is a IMRT machine that is able to very closely target the tumor and avoid healthy tissues. I tolerated each treatment very well, but typically most patients experience more side effects. I was the lucky one.
Unfortunately, I'm just 3 months out of treatment so I can't give you any long term prognosis as yet.

Your doctor may be able to download the study from www.nejm.org.

Jon says :- Yes interesting Info, but I wonder what the doctor would say here If I tried to tell him all the latest treatments, did you have any problems with sickness and chemo what are the best drugs as I have a mass on my lymph node now does that make it any more dangerous or is there a chance of still shrinking the Node and cancer at the BOT. do you think my swollen node will get larger quick end

One other note: In Europe, I am told, that there are companies that will test the biopsy against OC chemo drugs to see determine which drugs would be most effective.

Hope this helps
Sandy

"Base of Tongue Cancer", may be HPV cancer. swollen lymph nodes, half the tongue base Now T2/3 N2 MRI scan and simulation mask, 4 Chemo/35 rad of 35. Tumors gone. can eat. MRI April 19th , Nodes now all gone, was 6 cm, weight GAIN to 81 kg but found 2.1 grey area on MRI. Biopsy next.