1) Re "Moot" and the first definition from Charm's quoted link: <<1. Originally in Law, of a case, issue, etc.: proposed for discussion at a moot (MOOT n.1 4). Later also gen.: open to argument, debatable; uncertain, doubtful; unable to be firmly resolved. Freq. in moot case, [moot] point.>> I find that this first definition is in conflict with itself i.e. "open to argument" and "unable to be firmly resolved". If a question has been determined to be "unable to be firmly resolved", then how can it also be "open to argument"? Huh? how come? I've always used "moot" as meaning "unable to be firmly resolved". I like Moot. . I might even name my next cat "Moot".
2) Re the "Gems" we encounter and their unthinking questions, I prefer to think they mean well, but they are just uneducated when it comes to the horrors of cancer survival (not stupid, just uneducated). The only way they could be truly educated is to have survived it themselves and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Since it is unlikely they can be properly educated, then - Forgive them? for they know not what they do. A few snappy comebacks would be cool, tho'

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)