Ah, yet another reason I'm glad I am a Facebook objector. I can get into quite enough trouble right here on OCF. wink
But keeping this thread right on point ( after 28 pages and over 16 thousand views), here is an excerpt from the OCF News feed on the Esquire article on film critic Robert Ebert that deals with how he was treated at a reception or rather how he was patronized.
[quote]they don't know even half of what it's taken him just to get into the room, just to be here tonight, but there's something sad about the wet-eyed recognition, too. He's confronted by elegies everywhere he goes. People take longer to say goodbye to him than they used to. They fuss over him, and they linger around him, and they talk slowly to him. One woman at the party even writes him a note in his notepad, and Ebert has to point to his ears and roll his eyes. He would love nothing more than to be holding court in a corner of the room, telling stories about Lee Marvin and Robert Mitchum and Russ Meyer (who came to the Eberts' wedding accompanied by Melissa Mounds). Instead he's propped on a chair in the middle of the room like a swami, smiling and nodding and trying not to flinch when people pat him on the shoulder.[/quote]

Don't you just hate it when people talk sloooww to you now, like you had brain cancer instead of oral cancer? Or like it was your ears and not your tongue, tonsil or jaw that had the cancer? Yeah, we may eat slow (or not at all) or talk slow but we still think at the same speed.
charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13