Suzy

I have a prosthesis attached to my denture which allows me to speak. Unfortunately, I cannot eat with it in.

On our 30th wedding anniversary we were at our cottage and decided to go out for dinner. My daughter had some friends there and they were, naturally, dressed in beachwear - shorts, etc. We included them in our dinner.

As we began to eat my daughter explained to her friends that I would need to remove my top denture to eat. One of my daughters friends looked at the other and said "And you were worried about having long pants!"

I laughed and laughed, and more importantly I have used this story many times to explain that I need to remove my teeth to eat. People are UNFAILINGLY gracious and now I have learned to remove my teeth discretely (even in the nicest restauraunts) and if there is someone new around they - without question - say "do what you have to do to enjoy".

Perhaps you can use this story to help you with strangers. Tell them about a friend who..... I do truly believe that people want your company during a meal - it isn't about the food. Stay at the table, eat what you like, but help them understand. I am sure you will find that soon they will be doing everything they can to help you - such as making sure there is a pitcher of water on the table!

Hang in there - people really are good - even if they are sometimes very insensitive.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)